bloomington

Honoring the life of Edson Sample

caedsonsample011723-jpeg

The namesake of the iconic IU Sample Gates, Edson Sample, was a passionate supporter of access to higher education and a generous benefactor to IU. He is known for his many contributions to the university, including the funds for the construction of the gates. 

After spending the majority of his life in Bloomington, Sample died at 88 years old in Bloomington, in early December 2022 after a lifetime of service to IU.  

Sample spent most of his career at IU and obtained a master's degree in higher education from IU in 1971, according to IU Honors and Awards. He began his work in the IU Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid in 1961, and in seven years, he worked his way up to becoming the director and served in that position for 22 years.  

Sample was one of the founders of the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators and served as president of the foundation from 1974 to 1975, according to IU Honors and Awards. He received honors and awards, including the national association’s highest honor, the Lifetime Achievement Award.  

Were it not for Sample, the gates may never have been completed. According to a Pride of IU article, the idea was in development as early as 1883 but wasn’t built for another 100 years.  

According to the article, there were multiple proposals over the 100 years and even a withdrawn donation from IU alumnus Benjamin Long. All hope was lost in the gates ever being finished, until Sample stepped into the picture. At the time, Sample worked for the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aids. He approached then-IU President John-Ryan about funding the gates.  

According to Visit Bloomington, construction of the Sample Gates finished in January of 1987.  

Sample dedicated the gates to his parents, Louise Waite Sample and Kimsey Ownbey Sample, according to Behind the Gates.  

After retirement in 1990, Sample continued to donate to IU, including donating to the IU Athletic Excellence Academy in 2018. 

Sample worked tirelessly to ensure everyone had access to higher education and left his legacy on the university in more ways than one.

Today, the IU Sample Gates are known as one of the most iconic monuments on IU’s campus. They serve as the entrance to IU for anyone visiting Bloomington.