Tuesday, March 19

Parents of IU student killed in scooter crash file lawsuit against driver charged in his death 

news filler.jpg

Parents of IU student killed in September car-scooter crash have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the driver facing preliminary charges for his death.  

Nathaniel Stratton, 20, died Sept. 18 after 22-year-old Madelyn Howard, allegedly driving drunk, reportedly hit him with her car at the intersection of North Walnut Street and East 12th Street around 2 a.m. 

Brad and Elizabeth Stratton are seeking reimbursement for medical, hospital, funeral and burial costs, as well as punitive damages because of the circumstances of their son's death. 

Howard is charged with three felonies: leaving the scene of an accident, causing death when operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and reckless homicide.  

"Indiana law considers operating a vehicle while intoxicated to be wanton or willful misconduct. As such, the estate of Nathaniel Stratton is pursuing claims for both compensatory and punitive damages," the lawsuit, filed by Bloomington attorney Fred Schultz, states. 

A preliminary trial date of March 27, 2023 has been scheduled, but will likely be postponed due to Howard's lawyer asking for a change of venue from Monroe County for her trial. Judge Darcie Fawcett has not ruled on the request.