bloomington

Bloomington under winter storm warning until 7 p.m.

cawinterstorm122322.jpg

The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for central Indiana, including Bloomington, until 7 p.m. tonight. Potential hazards include slippery road conditions, reduced visibility and wind chills as low as 40 degrees below zero.  

As of 3 p.m. on Friday, Bloomington is minus 2 degrees Fahrenheit with a wind chill of minus 23 degrees. Although snowfall was less than expected, the freezing temperatures carry a serious risk for frostbite on exposed skin after just 10 minutes outside. 

[Related: What to do when you have to sleep outside in the cold]

The Indiana Department of Homeland Security has issued a travel advisory for Monroe County, recommending only essential travel due to unsafe conditions.  

Due to the unsafe temperatures, Monroe County has set up warming stations to be open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. from Friday to Monday.  

• Bloomington Fire Station 1 (Headquarters) 

• 226 College Avenue, Bloomington 

• Bloomington Fire Station 2 

• 209 S Fairfield Drive, Bloomington 

• Monroe Fire Protection District - Bloomington 

• 5081 North Old State Road 37, Bloomington 

• Ellettsville Fire Department Headquarters 

• 5080 West State Road 46, Ellettsville 

In addition to warming stations, those experiencing homelessness are encouraged to seek shelter at Friend’s Place at 919 S. Rogers Street or Wheeler Mission at 215 Westplex. 

Certain resources will have different hours throughout the holiday weekend. The Community Kitchen will be open Saturday, December 24 from 3-6 p.m. and is closed on Sunday. The Shalom Community Center will open on Sunday from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. and is serving lunch. The Monroe County Public Library will be closed on Saturday and Sunday.  

Signs of frostbite include cold skin and a prickling feeling, numbness, discolored skin, hard or waxy skin and joint and muscle stiffness. To prevent frostbite, wear several layers of warm, loose clothing and replace wet clothing as soon as possible. Woolen or windproof materials are the most effective at retaining warmth.  

[Related: How to avoid frostbite, and what to do if you have it]

Other tips include exercise, although not to the point of exhaustion, and staying hydrated and well-fed. Try to stay inside as much as possible. 

Here are some more tips on how to stay safe throughout the storm.  

How to drive safely 

• Drive slowly 

• Accelerate and deaccelerate slowly 

• Apply firm steady pressure to the brake regardless of whether or not you have antilock brakes 

• Maintain a following distance of 12 car lengths on snowy roads and 40 car lengths on icy roads.  

• Don’t apply extra gas when going up a hill, and do not stop on a hill.   

How to use space heaters safely 

• Keep space heaters on a level surface and away from flammable materials, children and pets. 

• Turn heaters off before sleeping and when you leave a room.  

How to prevent frozen pipes 

• Allow water to drip slowly from faucets to prevent pipes from freezing. 

• If your sink is on an exterior wall, open cabinet doors under sinks to warm the pipes. 

• Wrap all exposed pipes located outside or in unheated areas of your home, and insulate outside faucets with paper, Styrofoam cover or rags.  

• Cover vents around the foundation of your home. 

• Know where your property's water cut-off valve is and how to use it. 

What to do if you have a frozen pipe 

• Apply heat to the affected area using a hair dryer, space heater, a heating pad or towels soaked in hot water.  

• Keep the faucet running to melt the ice. 

• Never use an open flame to thaw your pipes, because it could start a fire. 

What to do if a frozen pipe bursts 

• Locate the house shut-off valve and turn it off. The shut-off valve is usually located in a basement or garage, sometimes near a water heater or under the kitchen sink.  

• Contact a plumber for repairs