politics

Republican Diego Morales claims victory in controversial Indiana Secretary of State race

cadiegomoraleswins-jpg

Republican Diego Morales claimed victory in the highly-watched Indiana Secretary of State race against Democratic opponent Destiny Wells. Morales declared himself the winner at the Indiana Republican Party’s 2022 Election Night Watch Party in the JW Marriott, according to Fox 59

“I’d like to thank all the Hoosiers who voted for me all across the 92 counties. I am proud to say I visited all 92 counties multiple times and I’m humbled by your confidence in me,” Morales said in a statement, according to WishTV

The Associated Press has not yet called the Secretary of State race, according to the IndyStar. However, Wells conceded the race in a speech later Tuesday night.  

“I want to express my appreciation for your trust and your support," Wells said. “We will continue to fight together." 

Born in Guatemala, Morales immigrated to the U.S. when he was in high school. He attended IU, where he received a bachelor’s degree in communications and political science, then moved on to Purdue University for a master's degree in business administration and then to the Netherlands, where he got a master’s degree in international business administration at Tilburg University, according to Ballotpedia. He has also served in the U.S. Army.  

Morales won’t be a newcomer to the Secretary of State’s office: he worked there previously, as director of intergovernmental affairs, before being fired in 2009, according to Fox 59. He has also served as a senior advisor to then-governor Mike Pence. While running for office, he was working as an entrepreneur. 

Morales was one of four Indiana candidates who either questioned or denied the results of the 2020 presidential election, according to the Washington Post. He faces allegations of voter fraud following the release of records showing he voted in one county while claiming a property tax credit for living in another, as well as allegations of sexual misconduct.