politics

Monroe County Democratic Party requests recounts in two county races

elections-filler.png

The Monroe County Democratic Party is filing for two election recounts, one for the Indiana House District 62 race and the other for the Benton Township Board Member race, according to a Monroe County Democratic Party press release.  

Both recount petitions come from extremely small vote margins in Republicans' favor. In the House District 62 race, Republican Dave Hall won over Democrat Penny Githens by 40 votes, which accounts for under 1% of the vote. In the Benton Township Board election, Republican Jake Dodds defeated incumbent Democrat Hans Kelson by four votes. 

Monroe County Democratic Chair David Henry announced in the press release he'll file a recount petition for the District 62 race at the Indiana Election Division before the Indiana Recount Commission in Indianapolis by today’s noon deadline. On Nov. 23, he filed a petition for a hand recount of Benton Precincts 1 and 2 at the Monroe County Courthouse where, following Indiana state law, the county circuit court will consider the petition and, if a recount is granted, will appoint a recount commission. 

“Never doubt that your vote matters,” Henry said in the press release for the Benton Township recount petition. “In a race that tightened up during canvassing and certification to a four-vote margin, I am certain that if the situation were reversed that any party would seek a recount on behalf of their candidate. The Monroe County Democratic Party simply seeks to make the list and check it twice to assure every lawfully-cast vote was counted in such a closely contested election.”