Controlled burn, deer hunts planned at Griffy Lake

<p>A trail sign is seen in front of the waterfront Feb. 2, 2021, at Griffy Lake Nature Preserve. The Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department will conduct a 5.5 acre controlled burn Nov. 9.</p>

A trail sign is seen in front of the waterfront Feb. 2, 2021, at Griffy Lake Nature Preserve. The Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department will conduct a 5.5 acre controlled burn Nov. 9.

The Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department plans to conduct a controlled burn and host deer hunting events at Griffy Lake to promote plant diversity in the area.  

The Parks and Recreation Department will conduct a 5.5- acre burn on Nov. 9, according to a press release.  

The burn will allow more sunlight to reach the forest floor, which encourages growth for oak and hickory trees, Steve Cotter, natural resources manager, said in the release. The burn will also destroy invasive species, recycle nutrients and increase habitat diversity.  

Griffy Lake will remain open during the burn, however, the Nature Trail and Hiking Trail will be closed during and for at least one day following the burn, according to the press release.  

Deer hunts are also planned for Nov. 12 and 13, and Nov. 19 and 20. Griffy lake will be closed to the public on those dates.  

According to the press release, only hunters that applied and were selected are allowed to hunt. Hunting is not permitted around Griffy Lake.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.