The Red Zone

The "Red Zone" is widely known as the period of time from the start of the fall semester to Thanksgiving break when students — particularly first-year students — are especially at risk for sexual assault.

The Indiana Daily Student recognizes sexual assault and violence is a persistent and dangerous issue on IU's campus. Through our continued reporting, we hope to make our community aware of such risks and be there to guide those who need them to the necessary resources.

So far this semester, the IDS has covered 14 reported sexual assaults.

•••

•••

Sexual Assaults Reported This Semester

•••

Resources for reporting sexual assault 

If you believe you have experienced sexual assault, you have options. Any IU employee can help you find the appropriate administrator or faculty member to begin the university reporting process. Keep in mind that most IU employees are considered “responsible employees,” meaning they are required to pass along anything shared with them regarding sexual assault to IU’s Title IX coordinator or a deputy Title IX coordinator who may decide to open a university investigation.

If you would like to talk to someone before deciding whether to report, IU has several “confidential employees” with whom you can speak. These employees include those designated as confidential victim advocates within IU’s new Office of Sexual Violence Prevention and Victim Advocacy, mental health counselors at Counseling and Psychological Services and employees at the IU Health Center.

Non-university affiliated organizations like the Monroe County Protective Order Assistance Partnership and Middle Way House can also provide resources independent from a university investigation.

If you do not wish to start a police investigation, you should know that reports to the university are rarely referred to campus police. If you would like to pursue an investigation in the criminal justice system, you can file a police report with campus or local police. This starts an investigation independent of IU’s Office of Student Conduct, but you should take note that Indiana University Police often refer their cases to the IU Office of Student Conduct for a simultaneous university investigation.

Call 911 in an emergency.

Bloomington Police Department
220 E. Third St.
812-339-4477 or 911 for an emergency
police@bloomington.in.gov

Confidential Victim Advocates*
506 N. Fess Ave.
812-856-2469
readvo@indiana.edu

Counseling and Psychological Services*
600 N. Jordan Ave., Fourth Floor
812-855-5711

IU Health Bloomington Hospital*
2651 E. Discovery Pkwy.
812-353-9515

IU Health Center*
600 N. Jordan Ave.
812-855-4011

IU Police Department
1469 E. 17th St.
812-855-4111 or 911 for an emergency
iupd@indiana.edu
Anonymous reporting form

Middle Way House*
338 S. Washington St.
812-333-7404
812-336-0846, 24-hour crisis line
communications@middlewayhouse.org

Monroe County Sheriff’s Office
301 N. College Ave.
812-349-2534
sheriffsoffice@co.monroe.in.us

Office of Student Conduct
801 N. Jordan Ave.
812-855-5419
ethics@indiana.edu

Office of Student Welfare and Title IX
812-855-4889
titleix@iu.edu

Protective Order Assistance Partnership*
301 N. College Ave. Room 201
812-349-2614

Protective Order Project*
Maurer School of Law, 211 S. Indiana Ave., Room 010
812-855-4800
pop@indiana.edu

Sexual Assault Crisis Services*
600 N. Jordan Ave., fourth floor
812-855-8900 (24-hour line)

Student Advocates Office*
Eigenmann Hall, 1900 E. 10th St., West Room 225
812-855-0761
advocate@indiana.edu

Student Legal Services*
703 E. Seventh St.
812-855-7867
stulegal@indiana.edu

* Indicates that an office or organization may offer confidential resources to students not wanting to file a criminal or University report. If you are looking to reach out to confidential resources, always be sure to ask someone first if they can provide confidentiality. For more on confidential employees at IU, see IU’s sexual misconduct policy.