crime & courts

IUPD reports 4 incidents of sexual assault

Crime Filler

Editor’s Note: This story includes mentions of sexual violence. 

The IU Police Department received multiple reports of sexual assault and battery over the summer, with reports spanning from June 25 to Aug. 11.  

A case involving rape and strangulation occurred Aug. 11 in the central neighborhood on IU’s campus. The suspect was arrested, according to the IU Police Department crime log.  

On July 14, 2022, IUPD received a report of a sexual battery, which occurred at Teter Quadrangle in December 2021. The report was delayed, meaning it was submitted weeks, months or years after the incident. The case was referred to university officials for review. 

A case involving rape and sexual battery reportedly occurred June 24 at the IU Auditorium. The cases were reported to IUPD on June 25. The prosecutor for the cases declined to file charges, according to the crime log.  

IUPD received a delayed report on July 22 of rape and sexual battery at Collins Living-Learning Center. The incident reportedly occurred Sept. 1, 2020. The case was referred to university officials for review. 

A list of resources is available here if you or someone you know has experienced sexual harassment or abuse. 

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article incorrectly reported five incidents of sexual assault instead of four incidents.