arts iu auditorium

October lineup features lecture, talent show at IU Auditorium

entauditorium101622.jpg

The IU Auditorium invites performances from all over the world to take place on IU’s campus. This month, they will feature the music of Soweto, South Africa, a conversation with Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Nikole Hannah-Jones and the Broadway classic “My Fair Lady,” among other exciting shows. 

Soweto Gospel Choir 

From the South African town of the same name, the Soweto Gospel Choir will perform their concert, “HOPE: It’s Been a Long Time Coming,” at 7 p.m. Oct. 18. This concert memorializes the South African freedom movement, as well as the civil rights movement of the U.S., and will feature both freedom songs of South Africa and civil rights anthems by the likes of Billie Holiday, Curtis Mayfield and Aretha Franklin. Student tickets start at $14 and can be purchased at the IU Auditorium website

Theresa Caputo Live! 

Star of TLC’s “Long Island Medium,” Theresa Caputo will present her show, “The Experience,” at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 19. Caputo will move through the audience and communicate with the deceased loved ones of audience members. She has been practicing this craft for over 20 years and has appeared on many staples of the talk show circuit such as “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” and “Today.” Tickets start at $49.75 and can be purchased through the IU Auditorium website

Related: [Kevin Morby, Cassandra Jenkins perform emotional sets at Buskirk-Chumley Theater]

A Conversation with Nikole Hannah-Jones 

Nikole Hannah-Jones, a Pulitzer Prize-winning writer and creator of the 1619 Project, will lecture at 7 p.m. Oct. 20. The event will feature Hannah-Jones’ lecture followed by a Q&A session and will be open to IU students, faculty and community. Hannah-Jones’ career in reporting has focused on critically examining racial inequality and her work won her the MacArthur Fellowship, a Peabody award and the Pulitzer Prize, among other accolades. The event will be free for IUB students. Tickets are $25 for IU faculty and community and can be found here

Big Man On Campus 

Zeta Tau Alpha will present an all-male talent show at 8 p.m. Oct. 21. The show will benefit the IU Medical Center’s breast cancer research efforts and the NFL Pink Ribbon Project, which promotes breast cancer awareness. The event will include a silent auction and a vote on talent show contestants for the title of “Big Man On Campus.” Student tickets start at $15 and can be found here.  

Related: [Local music scene: Oct. 13-Oct. 19]

“My Fair Lady” 

For the first time in more than 20 years, “My Fair Lady” will return to Bloomington at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 25-26. The Lincoln Center Theater’s production of the Broadway classic has received glowing reviews in the New York Times and NY1. Student tickets start at $17 and can be found here.  

Dennis James Hosts Halloween 

Dennis James will return with his annual Halloween spectacular at 7 p.m. Oct. 28. James will perform behind a reenactment from the 1940 radio drama “Suspense” on the IU Auditorium’s 4,543 pipe organ. This year, for the first time, students from IU’s Department of Theatre, Drama, and Contemporary Dance will act out the show. This will be James’ first use of live actors in the history of the event. Student tickets start at $8 and can be found here