sports women's basketball

Indiana women’s basketball ranked No. 11 in AP preseason poll

spiuwbbbrief101822.jpg

Indiana women’s basketball was ranked No. 11 in the preseason AP poll, continuing its streak of consecutive weeks appearing in the rankings. The top-25 has featured the Hoosiers in every release starting with the 2019-2020 preseason poll. 

In nonconference play, the Hoosiers will face a pair of currently ranked teams starting with No. 5 University of Tennessee on Nov. 14 in Knoxville. On Dec. 1, Indiana will host No. 12 University of North Carolina as part of the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. 

[Related: Indiana men’s basketball ranked No. 13 in preseason AP Poll

In the Big Ten, Indiana was the second highest ranked team behind defending conference tournament champion and regular season co-champion No. 4 Iowa. The Hoosiers host the Hawkeyes on Feb. 9 before closing the regular season on Feb. 26 in Iowa City.  

Also ranked in the Big Ten is fellow defending regular season co-champion No. 14 Ohio State, No. 17 Maryland, No. 22 Nebraska and No. 25 Michigan. 

Last season, the Hoosiers reached their highest spot in the poll in program history, ranking No. 4 for two weeks early in the year. Indiana finished last season also ranked No. 11 in the final poll after losing to University of Connecticut in the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA Tournament. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Sebree (@mattsebree) and columnist Matt Press (@MatthewPress23) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s basketball season.