Resources for Indiana residents following state abortion ban, Roe v. Wade overturn

entabortionresources091922.jpeg

According to the 2021 Terminated Pregnancy Report from the Indiana Department of Health, there were 8,414 abortions in Indiana in 2021, 512 of which were performed at the Planned Parenthood of Bloomington. 

Indiana’s abortion ban went into effect Sept. 15, 2022. According to Senate Bill 1, there are exceptions for cases of rape or incest up to 10 weeks post-fertilization and fetal anomaly, or if continuing the pregnancy would cause harm to the life or physical health of the pregnant person up to 20 weeks post-fertilization. 

Many local organizations are offering resources for people after the overturn of Roe v. Wade. 

All-Options Pregnancy Resource Center is a national nonprofit organization that has been providing support and promoting reproductive justice since 2004. It has a Talkline, offering support for all feelings, decisions and experiences with pregnancy, parenting, abortion, and adoption. The organization has a Hoosier Abortion Fund which includes resources for people who qualify for an abortion. It offers funding to help cover the costs of an abortion in another state where abortion is legal. Its website answers frequently asked questions about the organization, the process of getting an abortion and covering the cost of an abortion.  

Planned Parenthood offers access to birth control, emergency contraception and pregnancy/STD testing, among other resources. According to its website, Planned Parenthood wants to help with information and financial resources, where available, to get abortion care in other states. The Bloomington Planned Parenthood also provides resources such as finding abortion clinics nearby, getting facts about abortions and answering questions people may have.

CLARIFICATION: A previous center listed was removed because it has not provided resources and options for people seeking an abortion.