Local resources for those dealing with opioid addiction, overdose

caoverdoseday083122.jpg

According to data from the Indiana Department of Health, there have been 667 deaths statewide due to drug overdoses in 2022 alone. 14 of those 667 deaths occurred in Monroe County.  

To help our community better address this issue, the Indiana Daily Student put together a list of resources for people seeking help for themselves or others who are struggling with addiction. 

How to identify people at risk of overdose  

• Abnormally small “pinpoint” pupils 

• Falling asleep and or losing consciousness frequently 

• Slow, weak, little breathing 

• Choking and or gurgling sounds 

• Cold and or clammy skin 

• Skin is discolored (ex. Lips and nails) 

Here are some steps you can take if you know someone who is going through addiction  

• Contact health officials when opioid overdoses occur more frequently. 

• Find an effective means to communicate with that person the risks of addiction and methods of long-term recovery. 

• Express empathy by listening first to the needs and concerns of the affected person. 

• Acknowledge the difficulty of being a part of an overdose, as a witness or experiencing it, and the courage that comes with seeking help. 

• If you are prescribed opioids, consult your doctor about responsible medication consumption. 

• Show respect by fostering a platform for people to share their stories and questions. 

Local resources to address addiction 

• Consider visiting rehab centers located in Bloomington. This includes: 

• Calling the Youth Services Bureau of Monroe County at 812-349-2507. 

• Visiting Wheeler Mission 

• Hebron Addiction Recovery Program and Servant Leader Training (SLT): Hebron (for men) 

• Higher Ground, Connect and Servant Leader Training for women 

Here is some important information to know about Narcan, a naloxone-based medication used in emergency situations for opioid overdose  

• Each container is a one-use nasal spray that must be inserted in alternating nostrils each use. 

• A caregiver or loved one should administer one dose every two to three minutes until the affected person becomes responsive or an emergency medical technician arrives. 

• The number of doses taken at this time will vary depending on the person. 

• Because of Aaron’s Law, Hoosiers can purchase a Naloxone prescription if they think they know someone at risk of an opioid overdose. However, it is easy to consult a doctor or get it in local pharmacies as well. 

• Doctors may suggest this medication for people currently taking opioid medications or with any history of opioid overdoses. 

To learn more about Aaron’s Law and the Overdose Good Samaritan Law, click here 

Here’s who to contact to see obtain Narcan nasal sprays and injective naloxone for free 

• Monroe County Health Department: 812-349-2722 

• Indiana Recovery Alliance: 812-567-2337 during outreach hours and appointments 

• Monroe County Jail has a vending machine with 300 single-doses of Narcan for free 

To learn more about the resources found at the Monroe County Jail, click here 

Various resources that healthcare providers can use with patients: 

• Conversation starters about treatments and substance use disorders. 

• Checklist including treatment options, patient confidentiality details, and methods of reducing harm. 

• Social media content for clinics to use for raising awareness.