INSTANT RECAP: Bazelak leads two-minute drill to give Indiana football a week one victory

spiufbinstantrecap090222.jpg

Indiana football started the 2022 season with a home victory against Illinois. 

After trailing 7-3 in the first quarter, the Hoosiers took a 16-10 lead going into halftime before sloppy offense allowed the Illini to reclaim a 17-16 lead in the third quarter. Neither team was able to find much momentum on the offensive side of the ball in the fourth quarter, and costly turnovers plagued both teams. 

Following a late Illinois field goal to make the score 20-16, Connor Bazelak and the Indiana offense had one last opportunity to win the game with no timeouts and 2:21 left on the clock.

Bazelak led the two-minute drill to perfection and directed the Hoosier offense down the field, capping it off with a game winning Shaun Shivers touchdown run with 23 seconds to go.

Indiana will stay in Bloomington next week to face the University of Idaho on Saturday.

Fourth Quarter

0:00: Indiana defeats Illinois 23-20.

0:23: Running back Shaun Shivers 1-yard touchdown run. Indiana 23-Illinois 20.

0:49: Bazelak quarterback draw gets down to the 1-yard line.

1:09: Bazelak completes a pass to Cam Camper for 9 yards.

1:37: Bazelak completes a pass to DJ Matthews for 14 yards to the Illinois 37-yard line.

1:49: Bazelak completes a pass to DJ Matthews for 12 yards, and he gets out of bounds to stop the clock.

2:21: Illinois makes a 48-yard field goal to make the score 20-16.

4:36: Cam Camper fumbles the ball. Illinois recovers.

5:47: Josh Sangguinetti intercepts the ball for the Hoosiers.

9:50: Illinois gets stopped at the goal line on 4th down.

Third Quarter

2:34: Indiana recovers a fumble on a backward pass from Illinois.

3:32: Chase Brown rattles off a 30-yard rush for the Illini.

12:59: Illinois receiver Brian Hightower scores a touchdown to make the score 17-16.

14:19: Cam Jones goes down with an undiagnosed injury.

14:45: Hoosier receiver Andison Coby allows a Bazelak pass to get through his hands and ends up intercepted by the Illini.

Second Quarter

0:22: Indiana kicker Charles Campbell makes a field goal to make the score 16-10.

7:01: Reception of 39 yards by Cam Camper leads to a Charles Campbell field goal to make the score 13-10.

7:56: Illinois attempts a trick play in the red zone which fails but allows them to take a field goal to make the score 10-10.

10:52: Connor Bazelak finds DJ Matthews for a 52-yard touchdown to make the score 10-7. 

First Quarter

7:10: Illinois receiver Isaiah Williams scores a touchdown to make the score 7-3.

8:19: Illinois running back Chase Brown breaks free for a huge gain.

10:07: Indiana kicker Charles Campbell hits a field goal to make the score 3-0.

12:25: Cam Jones and Dasan McCullough combine with pressure to sack the Illinois quarterback, Tommy DeVito. 

Kickoff: Indiana defers the coin toss. Illinois will receive the opening kickoff.