sports men's soccer

Sessock, Wittenbrink guide balanced attack for Indiana men’s soccer in draw against Portland

spiumssidebar083022.jpg

Throughout the 2021 season, Nyk Sessock found himself at a crossroads. He wasn’t sure if he would return to Indiana men’s soccer for his extra, and final, year of eligibility.

The Hoosiers’ loss to Penn State in the Big Ten Tournament final last fall was the deciding factor for the now fifth-year senior defender, who is eager to bring more silverware to Indiana’s historic program. Through just two regular season matches, it’s clear Sessock is determined to make the most of his final season.

Though No. 21 Indiana suffered a shocking 3-3 draw against the University of Portland in Tuesday’s home opener at Bill Armstrong Stadium due to a few defensive lapses, the Hoosiers’ attack, frequently aided by Sessock, was at little fault for the result in an overwhelming performance.

Sessock took on a more concrete playmaking role against the Pilots, forcing himself down the right wing in buildups often. This style of play wasn’t surprising from Sessock, who has regularly been a workhorse on the flanks for the Hoosiers since arriving from the University of Pittsburgh two seasons ago.

“(It’s) not all that different,” Sessock said about his tactical switch from right center back to right back. “You gotta get used to it, but it’s something I’ve been doing my whole life.”

His pressure and command in possession have rarely faltered. The difference from seasons past? He’s finally being rewarded for it.

Sessock made his presence known early against Portland, showcasing his strength to help put Indiana ahead 1-0 in the sixth minute. His throw-in near the far-right corner flag floated far past the nearby defenders and into the 18-yard box, where redshirt senior midfielder Ben Yeagley alertly struck the ball with a thumping volley to get the scoring underway.

“We wanted to add that --- Nyk has a good throw,” Indiana head coach Todd Yeagley said. “It just gives us another look. He threw it farther than most teams probably knew he could. He had a good game on both sides of the ball.”

After a little over 20 minutes and a pair of goals between both teams, Sessock found himself in the attacking half of the pitch once again. He struck a high-arching right-footed cross over Portland’s back line, which redshirt senior forward Ryan Wittenbrink headed into the upper right corner from the center of the penalty area. The linkup gave Indiana a 3-1 lead through 28 minutes of play.

With his two assists against Portland, Sessock has already surpassed his total from the past two seasons with Indiana combined.

Wittenbrink’s goal --- the Hoosiers’ last of the night --- was his second in as many matches to open the season. Though sophomore forwards Samuel Sarver and Tommy Mihalic have gotten on the scoresheet already and been effective as starters, Wittenbrink has brought production and balance off the bench.

“He’s one of our best attackers,” Yeagley said. “The game settles, and when he comes in, he’s just this bolster. He brings composure and he’s one of our best passers. He knows he’s a starting player, we’re just using him in that role, and he’s been fantastic.”

[Related: Indiana men’s soccer draws University of Portland 3-3, snaps nine-game home winning streak]

The Pilots scored two unanswered goals against the run of play to ultimately share the points, but the Hoosiers controlled the tempo for much of the second half. Wittenbrink led the Hoosiers’ dominant attacking effort in the final half hour following the Pilot’s equalizer.

On his first free kick attempt, he lasered the ball from the left wing through the 18-yard box, but it whistled just past a pair of Hoosier heads and the far post. The veteran attacker went for a more direct approach from the top of the box on the second attempt, but his hard-hit strike was met by Portland graduate keeper George Tasouris, who made six total saves.

Despite the expected potent attacking display, the result was disappointing for the Hoosiers, who are still looking for their first win of the season. Yeagley said there is little cause for concern on the defensive side of the ball.

“It was absolutely in our hands,” Yeagley said. “(Portland’s) goals are all solvable through things we do well.”

Indiana will look to correct these mistakes when it faces No. 22-ranked University of Notre Dame on Saturday in the second match of its four-match home stand.