sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer drops season opener 3-2 in exhilarating matchup with No. 1 Clemson

spiumsclemsonrecap082622.jpeg

Before No. 13 Indiana men’s soccer took on the No. 1-ranked Clemson University Tigers on Friday night in Clemson, South Carolina, head coach Todd Yeagley stressed the hostile environment that his squad would be thrust into. Despite a 3-2 loss, Yeagley’s squad displayed offensive firepower and nearly converted a couple more quality looks into goals. 

The starting XI and formation were relative unknowns prior to the season opener, and Yeagley surprised by opting for a 4-4-2 structure to start out the match. Sophomore forward Sam Sarver’s goal in the first five minutes was evidence of how intense and urgent the Hoosiers are capable of playing. 

However, the Tigers proved why they won last year's College Cup and took the lead just ten minutes later off gorgeous long-range blasts from junior midfielder Ousmane Sylla and senior forward Mohamed Seye, respectively. Yeagley spoke after the match on the force of Clemson’s attack. 

“That’s as good of an attacking team as we’ll face, but I thought for the most part we did a pretty good job,” Yeagley said. “They were pretty class goals, all three of them, and individually they’re just really talented.”

Despite conceding three goals, it was impossible to ignore the contributions from sophomore goalkeeper JT Harms. With nine shots on goal, the Tigers peppered Harms all match, but he made multiple one-on-one stops and diving saves. 

[Related: Indiana men’s soccer stumbles in preseason exhibitions, newcomers adjust ahead of Clemson clash]

Additionally, the defense and midfield play seemed to improve after Yeagley shifted to three center-backs a little over midway into the first half. The added offensive numbers opened up room for Sarver and sophomore forward Tommy Mihalic. Postmatch, Yeagley talked about how they were able to put pressure on the Tiger’s backline. 

“They were a little out of whack. I thought we really had a large chunk of that game, and Tommy was a good reason for that,” Yeagley said. “Sammy did a great job, and he was dangerous all night.” 

Perhaps most importantly, the Hoosiers proved they had the physicality and highly energetic playing style to keep up with the best team in collegiate soccer. After conceding the quick pair of goals early on, the Hoosiers stayed composed, which was epitomized when redshirt junior Ryan Wittenbrink calmly converted from the penalty spot to tie things up. 

Despite the result, Yeagley was generally pleased with his squad’s performance. 

“There are very few environments you will find that’s that tough,” Yeagley said. “We created plenty of good chances to win the game.”

The Hoosiers will regroup and return to Bloomington for their next contest against the University of Portland on Sept. 6. Yeagley confirmed the match will be played at Bill Armstrong Stadium after Indiana women’s soccer’s home opener was relocated due to poor pitch conditions.