Proposed Indiana abortion ban includes exceptions for rape, incest, life of pregnant person.  

cabill071922.jpg

In a press conference Wednesday, Senator Rodric Bray, R-Martinsville, announced a proposed abortion ban including exceptions for rape, incest and threats to the life of the pregnant person. The ban, along with inflation relief bills, will be voted on in the July 25 special session. 

The ban means a pregnant person would not be able to get an abortion at any point in pregnancy unless it was for one of the exceptions. However, women would not be prosecuted for receiving an illegal abortion. 

Bray said the bill will not prosecute people who attempt to leave the state to receive an abortion. Bray and the coauthor of the bill, Sen. Sue Glick, R-LaGrange, said they want to increase education and availability of contraceptives to prevent unwanted pregnancy. 

Another bill on the table would provide $50 million to fund adoption, birth control, pre and post natal care and child development services. Bray said he would like to add more funds in the January regular session. 

No conviction will be required for performing an abortion in case of rape, Bray said, but an affidavit will have to be provided to the physician. Bray said a lot of these cases would be determined by the doctor, and prosecutors would not have the authority to take their licenses. Bray said there would be no new criminal penalties for doctors, and those who aided a woman in getting an abortion, such as an Uber driver, could not be prosecuted. 

Shelli Yoder, D-Bloomington, released a statement condemning the bill. 

“While I’m glad the supermajority found enough humanity to grant exceptions for rape, incest and life of the mother, the bill is irredeemable," she said.

Yoder said the bill still infringes on women’s liberty and will cause confusion for healthcare workers. The bill will result in the death of women, she said. 

The final bill includes a 6-month sales tax holiday on utilities and a 30 cent cap on gasoline sales tax through next June. Governor Holcomb’s proposed $225 check to families was left out of the bill. 

The session, which includes public testimony, will begin at 11 a.m. on July 25.