sports softball women's soccer

Head coaches Shonda Stanton, Erwin van Bennekom earn contract extensions

spiucoachesbrief062822.jpg

Two Indiana athletic programs announced contract extensions for their head coaches over the weekend. Softball head coach Shonda Stanton and women’s soccer head coach Erwin van Bennekom signed extensions to lead their respective programs through 2027.

Stanton earned Conference USA Coaching Staff of the Year honors in her 18th year at Marshall University before coming to Indiana after the conclusion of the 2017 season. In her first year, she led the Hoosiers to a 17-6 record and third-place finish in Big Ten play, the best overall conference outing since 2011.

Another highlight of Stanton’s tenure came when Indiana earned a spot in the USA Today/NFCA Coaches Poll for the first time since 1996 after a 14-0 start to the 2019 season. Stanton has a 126-101 record over five seasons with the Hoosiers.

Van Bennekom served as an assistant and associate head coach for four years at Duke University, where the Blue Devils notched a 68-17-11 record and two College Cup appearances. He came to Indiana in 2019 and led the Hoosiers to their 14th Big Ten Tournament appearance.

Indiana finished 9-5-4 in van Bennekom’s third season — its best record and most wins since 2013. Van Bennekom notched a 23-19-7 record and one Big Ten Tournament appearance in three seasons with the Hoosiers.