sports track & field

Indiana men’s track and field closes out regular outdoor season at Billy Hayes Invitational

spiumtfrecap050622.jpg

Indiana men’s track and field concluded its regular season on Friday at the annual Billy Hayes Invitational, the final meet before the Big Ten Championships on May 13-15. 

After setting the Indiana program record in the hammer throw at last week’s Penn Relays, freshman Sean Mockler kicked things off on Friday afternoon with another winning performance. The first-place mark of 67.87 meters came on his sixth and final heave, and was nearly 12 meters further than the second-place finisher. 

In the pole vault, the Hoosiers were led by second-team All-American junior Nathan Stone. Stone cleared a personal-best height of 5.45 meters to win the event, while freshman Tyler Carrel and sophomore Tyler Sierks grabbed the third and fourth spots respectively. Carrel cleared 5.14 meters and Sierks cleared 4.99.

Freshman Camden Marshall built on his impressive rookie campaign in the fast section of the 800-meter race – he notched a third-place finish with a personal best time of 1:48:57.

The Hoosiers grabbed their first of two gold medals on the track by way of the 400-meter hurdles, where they were led by senior Shaton Vaughn’s 52.03-second finish. Junior Micah Camble finished third in the race, recording a time of 53.45 seconds. 

To conclude the meet, graduate student Kyle Mau led the pack in the fast section of the 1500-meter race, running a gold medal time of 3:43.72. Sophomore Gabriel Sanchez finished fourth in the section with a time of 3:48.67. 

Next week, the Hoosiers travel to Minneapolis, Minnesota for the Big Ten Championships starting on Friday, May 13. Streaming will be available on Big Ten Network+.