Indiana baseball’s Josh Pyne named Big Ten Freshman of the Week amid dominant freshman season

<p>Freshman third basemen Josh Pyne fields a ground ball on the hop during the game against Purdue Fort Wayne on March 9, 2022, at Bart Kaufman Field. Pyne was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week for the first time in his career on Wednesday.</p>

Freshman third basemen Josh Pyne fields a ground ball on the hop during the game against Purdue Fort Wayne on March 9, 2022, at Bart Kaufman Field. Pyne was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week for the first time in his career on Wednesday.

Indiana baseball’s third baseman freshman Josh Pyne was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week on Wednesday. After a big weekend against Nebraska, Indiana and Pyne pulled off a 9-1 victory against Butler University on Tuesday night. 

Pyne is coming off one of his best weekends as a Hoosier after batting 8 for 21 against Nebraska and posting a .381 batting average in the series. He totaled seven RBI’s in the three games against the Huskers, helping the Hoosiers win two of the three games. 

With the two wins, Indiana also won its first Big Ten series of the season. In the three games against Nebraska, Pyne improved his on-base streak to 29 straight games. That streak ended Tuesday night, however, when he was replaced by a pinch-hitter late in the game as Indiana’s lead grew.

Pyne has started in all 40 games this season as a true freshman while batting .306 overall. Pyne leads all Big Ten freshmen with 39 RBI’s on the season and is second in RBI's as a Hoosier. 

This marks the first Big Ten honor Pyne has received in his collegiate career, and he is the first Indiana freshman to be named Big Ten Freshman of the Week since now-sophomore Morgan Colopy earned the award April 27, 2021.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.