student life

Immerse yourself in sustainability with Sustain IU Week

capreview041722.jpg

For the first time in two years, IU is hosting its annual Sustain IU Week from April 18-22 to celebrate sustainability achievements on campus. 

Sustain IU Week typically occurs during the week of Earth Day. There will be a multitude of free events throughout the entire week for students to participate in.

Monday

The week will kick off April 18 with rock climbing at the “Unplug and Climb” event. There will also be a cooking demonstration with registered dietitian Katie Shepherd.

Tuesday

On April 19, there will be a chance to pick up litter in the campus river and wrangle weeds. 

Wednesday

To celebrate IU Bikes Month, April 20 is “Bike to Campus Day.” 

For students curious about the work of The Campus Farm, they are hosting tours where you can learn about their regenerative operations on April 20 and 22. Volunteer opportunities are also available on April 21 and 23. 

Thursday

Tree planting allows students to make a lasting impact on the environment while learning about effective planting practices and how IU is maintaining the health of the trees on campus. This event will take place on April 21. 

Friday

The “Global Research Forum” explores the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goal 13 of climate action with students around the world on April 22. 

Volunteering at Hilltop Gardens is available throughout the entire week with a free succulent and garden tour for volunteers.

Related: [Thrive for IUSG candidates sworn in, former administration honored at inauguration Friday]

In order to commend the sustainability accomplishments at IU, Sustain IU is hosting the “Sustainability Symposium” presentation at Presidents Hall as the final event on April 22. 

The presentation includes several speakers, including opening remarks from Provost and Executive Vice President Rahul Shrivastav. Dr. Sarah Mincey, Integrated Program in the Environment Director and Environmental Resilience Institute Managing Director, will award the Campus Catalyst Awards to students, faculty and staff.

According to Sustain IU’s website, the Campus Catalyst awards have “recognized individuals, departments, and offices that have made a significant difference in the classroom, on campus, and within the community.”

The symposium is a program that highlights and honors environmental efforts made throughout the year, Sustain IU Sustainability Specialist Anisa Valenzuela said. 

The goal of Sustain IU Week is to celebrate sustainability accomplishments on campus while offering a network and sense of community to students.

“I remember as an undergrad, I found that some of the best opportunities I found were just from being in the room,” Valenzuela said.

These campus events provide opportunities for students to meet other people interested in sustainability. 

“I hope that people are able to disconnect from all of the screens that we’re on all the time and get a chance to be outdoors, to get their hands dirty, to appreciate this beautiful earth that we've been given,” Valenzuela said.

All events are free and open to students by registering on Sustain IU's website.