sports crime & courts football

Former Indiana football player charged with robbing, kidnapping man he met on Grindr

Crime Filler

Bloomington police arrested former Indiana football wide receiver Da’Shaun Brown, charging him with counts of robbery, kidnapping and battery resulting in injury. 

Allegedly, Brown abducted and robbed a man he met on Grindr in the beginning of April. Police responded to a call regarding a robbery at 6:15 a.m. on April 6 at a residence in the 2900 block of E Amy Lane.

“After engaging in consensual sexual activity, the victim stated that the suspect produced a large knife, held it to his neck, and threatened to kill him if he did not give him all of his money,” according to a news release from Bloomington Police Department. “The suspect drove the victim to a nearby ATM twice in an attempt to get cash using the victim’s credit cards.”

The police received video footage from the ATM on April 14th, showing the suspect’s license plate. They were then able to locate the suspect’s vehicle and survey the surrounding area. After seeing a man going to the vehicle and entering and exiting a residence, investigators petitioned for a search warrant for the residence and vehicle. The search warrant was granted. 

According to the release, when police knocked on the door at 9:35 p.m. Thursday night, Brown answered. The detectives searched the residence and found clothing belonging to the suspect and three cards with the victim’s name on them.

“After interviewing Da’Shaun Brown, he was transported to the Monroe County Jail,” the release said.

Brown was a quarterback in high school before he switched to the wide receiver position at Indiana. He redshirted his freshman season and appeared in two games in 2020 before suffering an ACL injury in a game against Michigan. He didn’t play in 2021 and entered the transfer portal in October of that year. He has no transfer destination.