Russian forces capture first major Ukrainian city of Kherson

<p>Volunteers for Ukrainian Territorial Defense Units arrive and march past trenches dug to defend their positions against the incoming Russian invasion on Feb. 28, 2022, in Kyiv, Ukraine. The Ukrainian city of Kherson fell to Russian forces, Ukrainian officials said Wednesday.</p>

Volunteers for Ukrainian Territorial Defense Units arrive and march past trenches dug to defend their positions against the incoming Russian invasion on Feb. 28, 2022, in Kyiv, Ukraine. The Ukrainian city of Kherson fell to Russian forces, Ukrainian officials said Wednesday.

Russian forces seized the Ukrainian city of Kherson, Ukrainian officials said Wednesday. Kherson is the first major city to fall to Russia since they first invaded Ukraine last Thursday, according to the New York Times.

Kherson mayor Igor Kolykhaev confirmed the Russian capture of Kherson and said Ukrainian forces retreated to a nearby city after days of fighting, according to the New York Times.

The capture of Kherson is significant because of its location just northwest of the Crimean peninsula, meaning Russian forces would be able to exert more control over Ukraine's southern coast.

According to the New York Times, Russian forces are turning to attacking civilian infrastructure such as hospitals and schools.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.