sports wrestling

Indiana wrestling finishes season at 2022 NCAA Championships

spiuwrrecap031822-jpg

Indiana wrestling closed out its 2021-22 season Thursday and Friday at the NCAA Wrestling Championships at the Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, Michigan. Graduate student Brock Hudkins and junior DJ Washington wrestled in two bouts Thursday.

Hudkins was the No. 13 seed in the 133-pound bracket. He won his first bout of the day in the championship bracket over the No. 20-seeded sophomore Chance Rich of California State University, Bakersfield 8-3. The win marked Hudkins' fifth career victory at the NCAA Championships.

In the second round of the championship, Hudkins forfeited to Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University graduate student Korbin Myers because of an injury. In the middle of the match, Myers went in for a takedown and Hudkins grabbed his knee in pain.

It was the last match of Hudkins’ collegiate career, as he officially withdrew from the tournament Friday morning because of the injury. Hudkins finished the season with a 14-5 personal record.

“Obviously not the way I wanted to end my career,” Hudkins said in a tweet. “This sport has taught me so much and it’s not always an easy lesson. Thank you to everyone that supported me along this journey. I am forever grateful for this sport and the man I have become. All love Hoosier nation!”

Virginia Tech wrestling left a statement on Twitter wishing Hudkins well after the forfeit.

Washington was the No. 26 seed in the 184-pound bracket. He lost his first matchup in the championship bracket Thursday to the No. 7-seeded Ohio State senior Kaleb Romero in a 13-2 major decision. 

Washington then lost in the first round of the consolation bracket to the No. 23-seeded Princeton University junior Travis Stefanik in a 6-1 regular decision to end his season Thursday. Washington finished with a 13-9 personal record this season. 

Indiana finished the season with a 3-8 overall record. In Big Ten play, the Hoosiers went 1-7 and finished 13th, above only a winless Maryland in-conference. Indiana finished in last place at the Big Ten Championships in Lincoln, Nebraska. 

The Hoosiers and head coach Angel Escobedo, who is now 15-34 as head coach and 5-29 in the Big Ten, will be back in the fall looking to improve next season.