sports baseball

Indiana baseball scores season-high 20 runs in win over Kentucky

spiubaserecap031522.jpg

Coming off of three straight losses against Troy University, Indiana came back to Bloomington exploding against the University of Kentucky, scoring 20 runs in its 20-7 win Tuesday night. 

The Hoosiers started scoring in the first inning after falling behind by a score of 4-0 to the Wildcats early. However, the Hoosiers scored at least one run in every inning of the game and never looked back. Their win also marks the fourth win at home, keeping their perfect at-home record of 4-0 on the season. 

Offense was the clear story of the game for Indiana, as the team scored the most runs it has in any game in the 2022 season so far. Home runs played a huge factor for Indiana, with a total of four different players recording a home run. The team totaled six home runs during the game. 

Two Hoosiers each hit two home runs as junior Matthew Ellis and freshman Josh Pyne went yard twice. The home runs, alongside the team’s 23 total hits, gave the Hoosiers a comfortable lead for the entirety of the game. 

Kentucky crept within one run of the lead early in the game, but Indiana kept its lead the entire game after its 4-0 deficit early in the first inning. 

Every player in Indiana’s lineup recorded at least one hit in the contest, and eight out of the nine players recorded at least one RBI. The team batted .500 as a whole and hit 23-46 on the night. 

Kentucky was forced to use seven different pitchers throughout the game, none of whom pitched  more than two innings. Kentucky recorded 10 hits and scored seven runs total, but it was simply outscored by Indiana. 

The game marks Kentucky’s first away loss of the season, dropping its record to 14-4 on the season. 

The Hoosiers remain unbeaten at home, and their record moves to 7-9 on the season. The Hoosiers also snapped their three-game losing streak with the win, and they now look toward 12 consecutive home games at Bart Kaufman Field. 

Indiana’s next matchup will be a series of four games against Xavier University. The series starts Thursday. The Hoosiers will face off against the Musketeers once on Thursday and Saturday, and the teams will play a doubleheader Sunday.