Indiana women's tennis falls in first Big Ten games of season to even season record to 7-7

<p>Sophomore Sayda Hernandez prepares to return a serve on Feb. 26, 2022, at the IU Tennis Center. Indiana lost to Michigan State on March 13, 2022.</p>

Sophomore Sayda Hernandez prepares to return a serve on Feb. 26, 2022, at the IU Tennis Center. Indiana lost to Michigan State on March 13, 2022.

Indiana women's tennis started off its Big Ten schedule over the weekend by facing off against No. 32 Michigan and No. 55 Michigan State. Indiana lost both games and now sits at 0-2 in conference play. 

Indiana started off in its Big Ten opener against No. 32 Michigan. Losing 4-1, the Hoosiers were only able to secure one point and win one match all day. 

Indiana had to face off against four different ranked singles players in the first four matches against Michigan, losing three of them.

The Hoosiers’ lone win against the Wolverines came from junior Alexandra Staiculescu. She earned the only point for the Hoosiers in the third singles match of the day. Staiculescu won her match by a score of 6-3, 6-3, against No. 76 junior Andrea Cerdan. 

The following day, Indiana faced off against Michigan State in the second match of the weekend. 

The Hoosiers started off the day by winning the doubles point, courtesy of a win from freshman Lara Schneider and sophomore Laura Masic. Indiana juniors Rose Hu and Lexi Kubas secured the winning point by defeating Michigan junior Tia Mukherjee and senior Lauren Lemonds, 6-3. 

However, Indiana's success stopped there as the team only secured one singles match and lost every other matchup to Michigan State. 

Indiana's record now moves to 7-7 and 0-2 in conference play. Indiana’s next match will be against the College of Charleston in Charleston, South Carolina, on March 18. Indiana will then return to Big Ten play when it faces off against Iowa on March 26. 

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.