sports baseball

Indiana baseball looks to keep flawless home record in four-game series against Xavier

spiubasepreview031722.jpg

After scoring a season-high 20 runs in its midweek win over the University of Kentucky to snap a three-game losing streak, Indiana baseball welcomes Xavier University to Bart Kaufman Field for a four-game series this weekend. 

The Hoosiers will play the series opener Thursday evening before an off-day on Friday. Indiana will then play a single game on Saturday before playing its second doubleheader of the season on Sunday to round out the series. The Hoosiers were swept in their first doubleheader against Troy University on March 13.  

The initial scheduling for the series included single games on Friday and Saturday with a  doubleheader on Sunday. However, projected rain in Friday’s forecast led to the scheduling change. 

Indiana junior right-handed pitcher Jack Perkins, who is coming off two consecutive quality starts, will start in Thursday evening’s opener. Senior right-hander Bradley Brehmer will start the first game of the doubleheader on Sunday, while freshman lefty Ryan Kraft will make his first career start in the series finale. Indiana has not announced a starter for Saturday's game. 

Xavier has had a rollercoaster-styled 2022 campaign. The Musketeers started the season on a nine-game losing streak, won the next five games and are now again on a three-game losing streak. They dropped to 5-12 overall after suffering a 2-1 loss in extra innings on Wednesday evening at Wright State University. 

Senior outfielder Luke Franzoni leads Xavier's offense with nine home runs and 27 RBIs. However, the Musketeers have struck out 10.1 times per game and hit into 16 double plays that abruptly stunt run production. 

Indiana junior Matthew Ellis matches Franzoni with nine home runs of his own this season. Ellis  is coming off his third multi-home run game of the season after hitting two in the win over Kentucky. 

The Hoosiers look to remain undefeated at home while continuing to gain back the momentum they once had before suffering their second sweep of the season last weekend. All four games this weekend will be broadcast on BTN+.