Black Voices

Black Voices: Summer is approaching and so are the music festivals

bvmscfestival032722-illo

Summer is approaching and music festivals are releasing their lineups for upcoming concerts. Even though the pandemic isn’t necessarily over, lots of states have ended mask restrictions in indoor areas. 

Festivals such as Coachella and Lollapalooza have recognized there is a pandemic going on but still require no vaccination, testing or masking in their venues. The organizers have warned people the event will go by the public’s health conditions on the date of the event.

IU junior Jovanna Green has been to concerts during the pandemic and is considering going to a festival soon. Since she is fully vaccinated and getting boosted she said she is less shy about attending. In the last five years, she has been to Lollapalooza, Riot Fest, Warped Tour, and Rock on the Range. 

But are music festivals worth all the hassle? Green said they are and she enjoys festivals more than concerts. 

“Festivals are usually much more exciting than concerts – they offer a variety of foods, drinks and give you a chance to see more than one artist,” she said. 

The experience may be exciting and all, but there are downsides to music festivals. Since attendees are seeing more than one artist, tickets can be a bit on the pricier side. For example, Coachella is one of the popular music festivals that lasts three days. Over those three days different artists come to perform for over 250,000 people. 

Festival passes for just general admission begin at $495 This only allows entrance to the venue and day parking lots for those three days. Additional expenses such as travel, room and board and many other things that come with going to the festival are not included.

Green spent roughly $1,000 the last time she went to a festival. This includes travel fare, food and drinks, tickets and a place for her to sleep. 

After the recent incident at a Travis Scott concert, festival-goers have every right to be a little hesitant about a large number of people and crowds. During his AstroWorld festival, people who didn’t pay for tickets were sneaking in and crowding the arena. This led to people being crushed and trampled over and left 10 civilians dead. 

Green said her advice is that you definitely need to be mentally and physically prepared for festivals. 

Most of the time you’re going to be in the blazing sun, standing, shoulder to shoulder with people and it can be exhausting. Staying hydrated is key to surviving the whole day. 

But nonetheless, if you’re interested in going to festivals you definitely should.

“As long as you feel safe going and know the risks of the pandemic then you should be fine,” Green said. “I do think they’re worth the money.”