sports wrestling

Indiana wrestling goes winless in weekend matches against No. 3 Michigan, No. 6 Ohio State

spiuwrrecap021322.jpg

Indiana wrestling faced two top-10 Big Ten opponents this weekend in the form of  No. 3 Michigan and No. 6 Ohio State and couldn’t find any success against either.

Indiana competed at Wilkinson Hall on Friday against Michigan for its final Big Ten home meet and lost by a 37-3 score. Despite the lopsided result, Indiana lost only four of its 10 individual matches by regular decisions. 

“I’m proud of these guys,” head coach Angel Escobedo said. “They really improved in many areas, such as escaping from the referee's position and controlling riding time.”

The highlight of Friday night came from Indiana junior Graham Rooks, who defeated No. 22-ranked Michigan graduate student Kanen Storr via a 4-1 regular decision. It was Indiana’s only win against the program. 

“You don’t lose, you learn,” Rooks said. “I really improved on my riding time and having control of the match.”

On Sunday, Indiana traveled to Columbus, Ohio, to compete with Ohio State.

The Hoosiers’ only win against the Buckeyes came from No. 10-ranked graduate student Brock Hudkins. He defeated Ohio State senior Dan Koontz with a takedown with two seconds remaining in the third period to secure the 5-3 victory. 

Escobedo used a challenge for a potential takedown that would’ve sent Indiana junior Graham Rooks into overtime during the 149-pound match. However, the referees sided against Escobedo, and Rooks lost to No. 2-ranked Ohio State junior Sammy Sasso 3-1. 

Indiana junior Nick South lost to No. 7-ranked Ohio State senior Ethan Smith by a 18-6 decision. During the match, South suffered a knee injury. South’s knee appeared to be in poor condition both during and after the match, and his status for Indiana’s next match against the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is unknown. 

Indiana junior Jacob Bullock had a collision with No. 13-ranked Ohio State senior Tate Orndorff, which sent Orndorff into concussion protocol. After being cleared to wrestle, Orndorff ultimately defeated Bullock via an 8-3 decision. 

Indiana will host University of Tennessee at Chattanooga at 1 p.m. on Feb. 20 at Wilkinson Hall.