sports baseball

Indiana baseball looks to bounce back in home-opener against Miami University on Tuesday

spiubasepreview022822.jpg

Indiana baseball will play its home opener at 4 p.m. on Tuesday against Miami University (Ohio) after posting a 1-5 record in three road and three neutral-site games to start the 2022 season. 

The Hoosiers competed in the Karbach Round Rock Classic this past weekend and won one game during the three-game round-robin event. 

The victory over the University of Louisiana at Lafayette on Saturday was Indiana's first of the season. Indiana’s two losses over the weekend both came against top-10 opponents: No. 2 University of Arkansas and No. 6 Stanford University. The Hoosiers were outscored by a combined score of 18-2 against its two ranked foes. 

Indiana was initially scheduled to play on the road at Miami before the Round Rock Classic. However, forecasted rain postponed the contest. The make-up date to complete the two-game home-and-home series has not been announced. 

Related: [Inconsistent batting persists for Indiana baseball at Round Rock Classic]

Miami has played one road series and one homestand, evenly going 3-3 to start its 2022 campaign. Miami won its season-opening series on the road at the University of Tennessee at Martin. 

The RedHawks shut out Rider University 9-0 in the first game of their home-opening series, but lost the next two games to drop their three-game set. 

Indiana has not announced a starting pitcher for the team's first mid-week game of the season. 

"Kind of still figuring it out," head coach Jeff Mercer said after Sunday's 13-0 shutout loss to Stanford. "We'll sit here and talk afterward, but we do think we’re in a good spot on the mound to be ready to go.” 

After suffering a two-loss weekend, including a shutout defeat on Sunday, Indiana looks to bounce back on Tuesday against Miami to earn its first home win of the season. The game will be broadcast on Big Ten Network+.