sports baseball softball

Indiana Athletics announces beer sales for baseball and softball games in spring 2022

spiubasebeer022822.jpg

Fans over the age of 21 will be able to purchase beer at Indiana baseball and softball games this spring, according to an Indiana Athletics release Monday. 

The expansion of beer sales at Bart Kaufman Field and Andy Mohr Field comes after Indiana Athletics introduced beer and wine sales at football games in Memorial Stadium back in the fall of 2019. 

Indiana Athletics partnered with local business Upland Brewery for alcoholic beverages during football games, and the two parties have extended their agreement to include baseball and softball events. 

"The response from our fans has been overwhelmingly positive about this option at IU football games, and we are excited to extend this opportunity to IU baseball and softball fans as well," Scott Dolson, Indiana Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, said. 

Every customer who looks younger than 50 years old must present a valid, government-issued photographic identification documenting that they are of legal age to buy alcohol. 

Related: [Indiana baseball looks to bounce back in home-opener against Miami University on Tuesday]

During nine-inning baseball games, concession stands at Bart Kaufman Field will stop selling beer at the start of the bottom of the seventh inning, right after the seventh-inning stretch. 

For seven-inning softball games, the sale of beer at Andy Mohr Field will conclude at the beginning of the top of the fifth inning. 

If either team plays multiple games on the same day, the timed rules will be put into place for the day's final matchup. To promote responsible fan behavior, customers will be limited to two alcoholic beverages per transaction and will not be able to purchase beer if they appear intoxicated. 

“We’re excited to offer this new option to IU baseball and softball fans as we continue to enhance the gameday experience at our athletic events,” Dolson said.