Tuesday, March 19

bloomington

IFC, MCGC and PHA condemn antisemitism, call for action to support Jewish community

greek filler.jpg

Editor’s Note: This story includes mention of antisemitism.

The Panhellenic Association, Interfraternity Council and Multicultural Greek Council sent out an email Tuesday night to all members of these organizations condemning antisemitic speech and actions on IU’s campus.

The email stated the organizations will not allow Jewish individuals to feel unsafe or unwelcome in the community. It also stated IU and the IU Police Department are aggressively working to investigate a series of antisemitic comments targeting Jewish students at IU on the website Greek Rank.

The organizations have worked in coordination with IU Hillel, Chabad and Jewish members of the community to produce plans of action to create meaningful change, the email stated.

Organizations can receive support Mezuzahs, pieces of parchment inscribed with religious texts traditionally attached to doors of Jewish homes, from the Hillel Antisemitism Task Force. The Mezuzahs will not contain the traditional prayer scrolls.

The organizations will also work to prevent antisemitism on an organizational level, the email stated, by making educational modules available to each organization.

“We recognize that despite these steps, antisemitism is always just beneath the surface and we vow to use the full force of our councils to seek out and eliminate any antisemitic acts in our community,” the email stated. “Our love and support goes out to our Jewish organizations and our Jewish friends.” 

PHA launched a Jewish affinity group Tuesday, which had been previously planned. PHA members interested in joining this affinity group can ask their Panhellenic delegate for a GroupMe link.

If you have experienced an act of antisemitism, you can report incidents of discrimination or harrassment here.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article mispelled the name of Chabad.