crime & courts

Woman in critical condition after Wednesday night shooting in Bloomington

Crime Filler

The Bloomington Police Department responded to several reports of gunshots in the area of North Illinois Street and West Illinois Court around 7:45 p.m. Wednesday.

When officers arrived, they located a 2015 Jeep Cherokee with a shattered passenger side window. Officers found a 29 year-old woman lying in the Jeep’s rear seat with what appeared to be a gunshot wound to her head, according to a press release from BPD.

Officers removed her from the vehicle and began administering medical care until an ambulance arrived. The victim was transported to IU Health Bloomington Hospital, where she underwent emergency surgery. The victim is in critical condition at this time, according to the release.

Investigators determined a van and a passenger car fled from the scene. Those involved in the shooting are believed to have occupied the vehicle. According to the release, officers later located both the van and passenger car, but they did not locate any suspects.

The press release said the investigation is still ongoing.

BPD is asking those with any information about the shooting to contact the department.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this article we listed the intersection as “North Illinois Street and North Illinois Court” as listed in the press release obtained from the Bloomington Police Department. There was an error in the release, and the intersection has been updated in the article to reflect the correct location.