sports wrestling

Indiana wrestling faces No. 17 Purdue on Saturday, looks for second-straight Big Ten win

spiuwrpreview012822.jpg

Coming off of its first conference win against Maryland, Indiana wrestling will have another home meet against in-state rival No. 17 Purdue at noon Saturday at Wilkinson Hall.

Indiana is 3-3 this season and 1-2 in Big Ten play. Meanwhile, Purdue has an 8-4 overall record and is 2-3 in conference play following a 23-12 loss to No. 10 Wisconsin.

Purdue’s squad boasts ranked wrestlers in every weight class besides the 149-pound and 165-pound classes on the NWCA Coaches Poll. Some of Purdue’s strongest wrestlers include No. 9-ranked senior Devin Schroeder in the 125-pound class, No. 26-ranked freshman Matt Ramos in the 133-pound class, No. 18-ranked junior Parker Filius in the 141-pound class, No. 11-ranked sophomore Kendall Coleman in the 157-pound class, No. 15-ranked freshman Gerrit Nijenhuis in the 174-pound class, No. 25-ranked senior Max Lyon in the 184-pound class, No. 15-ranked junior Thomas Penola in the 197-pound class and No. 33-ranked senior Michael Woulfe in the heavyweight class. 

Indiana has four ranked wrestlers in its projected lineup. No. 31-ranked sophomore Jacob Moran will start in the 125-pound class. If No. 12-ranked graduate student Brock Hudkins is cleared to wrestle after being held out of Indiana’s meet against Maryland for an undisclosed, non-serious reason, he will represent Indiana in the 133-pound class. If he is not cleared, freshman Noah Gochberg is expected to take Hudkins’ place. 

No. 27-ranked junior Cayden Rooks will compete for Indiana in the 141-pound class spot. Junior Graham Rooks will wrestle in the 149-pound class. The Rooks brothers have a combined five wins in a row over Indiana’s previous three matches. 

Sophomore Jonathan Kervin is expected to wrestle in the 157-pound class. Junior Kasper McIntosh has wrestled in the 165-pound class against Michigan State and Maryland and will be expected to wrestle for Indiana. However, senior Sammy Cokeley and sophomore Matt Ortiz have also seen some time in the 165-pound matches. 

Junior Nick South will wrestle in the 174-pound class match. No. 14-ranked junior DJ Washington will take the 184-pound class spot. Junior Nick Willham will wrestle in the 197-pound class. 

Junior Jacob Bullock will wrap up the afternoon against Purdue representing the heavyweight category.

​​Indiana’s match against Purdue will be broadcast at noon Saturday on the Big Ten Network.