IU Health requests assistance from National Guard amid rising COVID-19 cases

<p>The Indiana University Regional Academic Health Center is pictured from the air Oct. 27, 2021, in Bloomington. IU Health has requested the assistance of the Indiana National Guard amid rising COVID-19 hospitalizations, according to a statement from IU Health.</p>

The Indiana University Regional Academic Health Center is pictured from the air Oct. 27, 2021, in Bloomington. IU Health has requested the assistance of the Indiana National Guard amid rising COVID-19 hospitalizations, according to a statement from IU Health.

IU Health has requested the assistance of the Indiana National Guard amid rising COVID-19 hospitalizations, according to a statement from IU Health Thursday.

“The demand and strain on Indiana University Health’s team members, nurses and providers has never been greater,” the statement read. “IU Health will leverage all available resources and enlist members of Indiana’s National Guard, in conjunction with the Indiana Department of Health, to assist in areas of critical need.”

COVID-19 cases are on the rise in Indiana, according to the Indiana State Department of Health’s COVID-19 dashboard. The dashboard recorded 2,755 new hospitalizations from COVID-19 on Dec. 7, the highest number of hospitalizations since Jan. 7.

The National Guard is assisting at all IU Health hospitals in the South Central region, according to the statement. The National Guard teams consist of six members: two clinical members to assist with treating patients and four non-clinical members to assist with administrative and logistical duties. All members of the National Guard are fully vaccinated, according to the statement.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.