Indiana football’s Thomas Allen earns Big Ten Sportsmanship Award, three earn All-Big Ten

<p>IU redshirt junior tight end Peyton Hendershot fights for the end zone against the University of Cincinnati on Sept 18, 2021, at Memorial Stadium. Hendershot was named third-team All-Big Ten and senior linebacker Thomas Allen earned Indiana’s Big Ten Sportsmanship Award.</p>

IU redshirt junior tight end Peyton Hendershot fights for the end zone against the University of Cincinnati on Sept 18, 2021, at Memorial Stadium. Hendershot was named third-team All-Big Ten and senior linebacker Thomas Allen earned Indiana’s Big Ten Sportsmanship Award.

Indiana football senior linebacker Thomas Allen earned the team’s Big Ten Sportsmanship Award, according to a press release Wednesday. The award is given to athletes who have displayed sportsmanship and ethical behavior, according to the Big Ten’s website.

Additionally, senior tight end Peyton Hendershot was named third-team All-Big Ten. Hendershot led the team in receiving yards with 543 and receiving touchdowns with 4. Hendershot also tied with senior wide receiver Ty Fryfogle to lead the team in receptions with 46.

Hendershot was a third-team All-Big Ten selection in 2019 and 2020 as well and holds Indiana’s career record for receptions by a tight end. He is also the first tight end in team history to have multiple games with 100 or more receiving yards. 

Fryfogle and junior offensive lineman Matthew Bedford earned All-Big Ten honorable mentions. Fryfogle had 512 receiving yards and one touchdown this season, and Bedford started in all 12 games at three different positions on the offensive line.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.