Indiana football hires Walt Bell as new offensive coordinator

Football Filler

Walt Bell will be the new Indiana football offensive coordinator, the team announced Thursday. 

"Walt checked all the boxes that we were looking for," Allen said in a press release. "His experience, creativity, and leadership make him an ideal fit. I was looking for someone to be the leader of the offense and Walt will be that.

Bell was the head coach at the University of Massachusetts Amherst from 2019 to 2021. Bell went 2-23 and was fired after this season. He previously was the offensive coordinator at Arkansas State University from 2014 to 2015, the offensive coordinator at Maryland from 2016 to 2017 and the offensive coordinator at Florida State in 2018.

In Bell’s two years coaching in the Big Ten, Maryland averaged 25.9 and 23.6 points per game, respectively. Maryland’s offense was 87th in the country in total offense in 2016 and 95th in 2017.

RELATED: Analysis: What does Walt Bell bring to Indiana football’s offense?

Arkansas State averaged 37 points per game under Bell in 2014 and 40.7 in 2015.

"I'm incredibly excited to work for a man like Tom Allen," Bell said. "Everyone I've talked with has raved about Indiana, and I'm ready to start building relationships with our players and working with this staff.

The hire comes 11 days after Indiana parted ways with Nick Sheridan. Indiana’s offense finished 13th with 17.3 points per game in 2021 and was outscored 94-316 against Big Ten competition.