Mackenzie Holmes named Big Ten Player of the Week

<p>IU junior forward Mackenzie Holmes listens to head coach Teri Moren during an exhibition game against the University of Indianapolis on Nov. 5, 2021, at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Holmes won her third career Big Ten Player of the Week honor Monday.</p>

IU junior forward Mackenzie Holmes listens to head coach Teri Moren during an exhibition game against the University of Indianapolis on Nov. 5, 2021, at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Holmes won her third career Big Ten Player of the Week honor Monday.

Junior forward Mackenzie Holmes was named Big Ten Player of the Week following her record-setting performance against No. 20 Ohio State on Sunday night.

This is the second time this season Holmes has received the award and the third of her career.

Holmes scored a career-high 30 points against the Buckeyes and reached 1,000 career points.

She is the 30th Hoosier to reach the milestone and the second to do so this season. Senior guard Grace Berger hit 1,000 points in the team’s matchup with Butler University in November. Holmes is also the first Hoosier to score 30 points in a women’s game since 2018.

In the past two games against Fairfield University and Ohio State, Holmes has averaged 26.5 points, 6 rebounds and 5 blocks. She leads Indiana this season in blocks and point-scoring, with 20 total blocks and 18.5 points per game.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.