Bloomington Fire Department to offer lead level testing after controlled burn

<p>The site where the Bloomington Fire Department conducted a controlled burn is seen Nov. 10, 2021, at 1213 S. High St. The BFD will offer lead level testing to anyone concerned about elevated lead levels following the release of lead paint into a neighborhood during a controlled burn last month, according to a City of Bloomington press release.<br/></p>

The site where the Bloomington Fire Department conducted a controlled burn is seen Nov. 10, 2021, at 1213 S. High St. The BFD will offer lead level testing to anyone concerned about elevated lead levels following the release of lead paint into a neighborhood during a controlled burn last month, according to a City of Bloomington press release.

The Bloomington Fire Department will offer lead level testing to anyone concerned about elevated lead levels following the release of lead paint during a controlled burn last month, according to a City of Bloomington press release.

BFD will offer finger-prick blood testing to residents from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at their headquarters at 226 S. College Ave., according to the release.

BFD is partnering with the Monroe County Health Department to administer the lead level testing. Test results from firefighters operating at the scene of the burn showed no signs of increased lead levels, according to the release.

The Nov. 5 controlled burn was intended as a training exercise for Bloomington firefighters but resulted in the release of lead paint debris into the surrounding neighborhood. The site was not checked for lead paint before the burn because doing so was not included on the Indiana Department of Environmental Management’s checklist, Bloomington Fire Chief Jason Moore said during a press conference Nov. 16.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.