arts iu auditorium performances music

A cappella group Straight No Chaser returns to IU Auditorium Dec. 17

entstraightnochaser121321.jpg

A cappella group Straight No Chaser will perform at 8 p.m. at the IU Auditorium on Dec. 17. The group began as a student organization at IU in 1996. The group continues as an IU student-run a capella organization. As of 2012, the collegiate group’s name was changed to “Another Round.” 

The only remaining original SNC member, Charlie Mechling is originally from Bloomington. Even though most of the group didn’t grow up in Bloomington, he said it’s a special place they all hold close to their hearts. 

“In a way, IU is our common hometown,” Mechling said. “We all have that Bloomington connection.”

Packed with holiday hits, pop favorites and lots of laughter, Straight No Chaser is returning to perform during their “Back in the High Life” tour. 

“We are just super excited to be back at the auditorium,” Mechling said. “It’s one of our top places to play. We have a special excitement when we’re in that building.”

Mechling said there’s something for everyone at the show, with music from all different decades and genres. He also said, for returning fans, the “Back in the High Life” performance will be like no other.

“Every show is truly a live performance,” Mechling said. “None of our shows are scripted, and none of our shows are the same. We’re constantly trying to make things different not just for our fans, but for ourselves too.” 

While the group originated in 1996, it was not until 2008 that they began to perform professionally. A video recording of the group’s 1998 version of “The 12 Days of Christmas” went viral on YouTube in 2007, leading to the reunion of the founding members and a deal with Atlantic Records according to the band’s website. The a cappella group has been touring ever since.

Mechling said last year was the first time the group ever had to cancel their fall tour in 12 years of performing. The pandemic forced them to look at alternative ways to get in touch with fans and make music together. They ended up recording an album remotely called “Social Christmasing.” 

Mechling said he wants the music to pull audience members away from everyday life and into an alternate reality.

“The most important thing, especially this year, is that somebody can come to our show and for two hours, their cares, worries and stress can be taken away,” he said.

Patrons can purchase tickets on the IU Auditorium website, starting at $31 for IUB students and at $39 for all other audience members.