student life bloomington

Kilroy’s Sports to host free sexual assault bystander trainings Sunday afternoon

cakilroys111221.jpeg

Kilroy’s Sports Bar will conduct free sexual assault bystander intervention training Sunday afternoon, according to a press release from partnering nonprofit SAFE Bar Network.

The nonprofit will facilitate the training sessions at 3, 4, 5 and 6 p.m. Sunday, which will be open to the public. According to the release, the training sessions are meant to create a safer environment for Kilroy’s customers and employees.

The SAFE Bar Network is a national nonprofit focused on increasing safety at bars and other alcohol-serving venues, according to their website. They focus on teaching staff to notice concerning behavior, interrupt effectively and offer support to victims of sexual assault. SAFE Bar Network’s training aims to build respect and shift workplace cultures.

“Our training goes beyond individual active bystander skills,” SAFE Bar Network executive director Haleigh Harrold said in the press release. “It focuses on teaching the staff at bars, restaurants, and nightclubs how to have an ongoing conversation about noticing concerning behavior, interrupting effectively, and providing each other support.”

Kilroy’s Sports and Kilroy’s on Kirkwood are founding members of SAFE Bar Network, according to the release. Nearly 1,000 of their employees have participated in training.