Indiana women’s basketball reaches new program high with No. 4 ranking in AP Poll

Indiana head coach Teri Moren kneels near the scorer's table during the game against Butler University on Nov. 10, 2021, at Hinkle Fieldhouse. Indiana earned the No. 4 spot in the AP Poll this week, the highest in program history.

Indiana women’s basketball made program history by moving up to No. 4 in the AP Top 25 Poll on Monday. This is the team’s first top five ranking.

The ranking comes after Indiana beat No. 13 University of Kentucky 88-67 Sunday night to move to 2-0 on the season.

The Hoosiers entered the season ranked No. 8 on the AP Preseason Poll, which was their highest ranking at the time. They finished at No. 12 at the end of the 2020-21 season, reaching as high as No. 9.

Indiana is led by graduate student Nicole Cardaño-Hillary and junior forward Mackenzie Holmes, together averaging 87 points per game. Mackenzie Holmes had a career-high scoring performance against Kentucky with 29 points.

Indiana will play Norfolk State University at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Bloomington.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.