sports swimming & diving

Indiana men’s swim and dive's Brendan Burns, Carson Tyler receive Big Ten awards

spiusdweeklyawards110421.jpg

Junior Brendan Burns is the Big Ten Men’s Swimmer of the Week and freshman Carson Tyler is the Big Ten Men’s Diver of the Week, announced Nov. 3. 

This comes after their weekend performances in a quad meet Oct. 29-30 in Columbus, Ohio.

The award is Burns’ and Tyler’s second of the season after winning their first awards Oct. 20. It’s Burns’ third Big Ten weekly award of his career.

Burns contributed to the team’s victory with four wins and six top-three finishes. Four of his times meet NCAA Division I Championships qualifying standards, and all six of his times rank in the top 10 nationally and in the top five in the Big Ten.

Men's swim and dive: No. 5 Indiana men’s swim and dive defeats Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Penn State in quad meet

At the quad meet, Burns won the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 1:44.00 and the 200-yard butterfly posting a 1:42.30. He was also part of the 400-yard and 200-yard medley relay squads, with times of 3:07.59 and 1:25.79 respectively.

Tyler secured victories in the 1-meter and 3-meter dives. In all of his performances, Tyler has earned NCAA Zone Qualifying scores to compete in the postseason. In the 3-meter dive, Tyler posted a 440.65 and received a 362.00 in the 1-meter. 

Tyler was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week on Oct. 20 after setting a pool record of 408.00 in the 3-meter dive in his first collegiate dual meet Oct. 16 against Northwestern in Evanston, Illinois.