University Players, Bloomington Playwrights Projects holding auditions for ‘Modern’

entmodern101721.jpg

University Players and Bloomington Playwrights Project are partnering for the production of coming of age musical “Modern.” 

“This is a huge opportunity for students to work with a professional company on an up and coming musical,” University Players said on Instagram. 

The story follows a group of Amish teenangers as they begin their Rumspringa, a period when Amish teenagers are given greater personal freedom. As they endure the modern world for the first time, they will ponder their faith and home life.

People can submit their virtual auditions until Nov. 1. They will have to submit a 16-32 bar piece in the style of their choice along with a one-minute contemporary comedy or drama monologue, according to the University Players website. Virtual callbacks will be after auditions. 

The script, score and other audition information is on University Player’s website

Rehearsals will start Jan. 11 and last through the beginning of February. “Modern” performances will run Feb. 4 to 19.  There will be a Thursday opening preview on Feb. 3 while the rest of the shows will be on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, according to the University Players Instagram announcement post.