Explore your future in management with the O’Neill School

IU students walk through the O’Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs.

The O’Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs hosts several introductory-level management courses that equip undergraduates with both crucial business skills and personal leadership prowess. These skills help them navigate life after graduation, whether it be through making difficult administrative decisions or supporting them in creating positive workplace environments.

Andrea Need, Director of Undergraduate Academic Affairs and Senior Lecturer at the O’Neill School said management choices affect real world outcomes in the workplace.

“Ever wonder why some programs and organizations seem to work so well in some cases but so poorly in others?” Need said. “One of the most important answers is management.”

Recommended introductory course offerings include SPEA V 185: Management of Public Problems and Solutions (a deep dive into the reverberations of poor management choices), SPEA 236: Managing and Leading Organizations (the formulation of an outstanding leader in the business, nonprofit and government world) and SPEA 373: Human Resources Management for the Public Sector (the people aspect of management and principles of human resources).

These classes are applicable to a variety of professions, with some of O’Neill’s most sought-after management programs being Healthcare Management and Policy, Public Financial Management and Human Resources Management. Jobs held by recent graduates who have taken these classes through O’Neill range from financial representative at Northwestern Mutual to area manager at Amazon.

A 2021 graduate of O’Neill’s Environmental Management major, Kyle Rolfson was hired by GAI Consultants as an Environmental Specialist in Indianapolis immediately after the end of his college career. He inspects construction sites to ensure that they are abiding by environmental regulations. Rolfson finds that the position combines his desire to be outdoors with his ability to keep track of, organize and present specific data regarding projects.

Rolfson reflects fondly upon his undergraduate experience, attributing much of his curiosity and will to learn to the O’Neill School.

“The beginning courses help lay the foundation for the rest of your schooling in which you have a wide variety of classes to choose from, so you can tailor what you learn to what you are interested in,” Rolfson said.

As you navigate this confusing, stressful season of scheduling next semester’s classes, consider taking an introductory management course. You can create the base for what you will focus on in your upper-level coursework and hone your professionalism to sustain excellent operations in your future organization(s). For further clarification about which class best benefits your occupational aspirations, please reach out to Brett Reardon in O'Neill's academic advising office at oneillam@indiana.edu.