sports women's basketball

IU women’s basketball earns preseason honors, picked No. 2 in Big Ten

spiuwbbbrief102621.jpg

Big Ten coaches and media voted IU women’s basketball as the No. 2 team in the conference in the 2021-22 preseason poll. Senior guard Grace Berger and junior forward Mackenzie Holmes were selected to the preseason All-Big Ten team.

Indiana finished second in the Big Ten in 2020-21 behind Maryland, who was voted to finish first in the preseason poll. The Hoosiers and Terrapins will play Jan. 2, 2022, in Bloomington and Feb. 25, 2022, in College Park, Maryland. 

Berger and Holmes were named to the 10-player preseason All-Big Ten team by both the coaches and media.

Berger averaged 15.4 points, 6.8 rebounds and 4.6 assists per game last season and was named First Team All-Big Ten last season. She also won a gold medal with the United States National Team at the 2021 FIBA AmeriCup over the summer.

Holmes led the Hoosiers in points and rebounds a season ago, averaging 17.8 points and 7.6 rebounds per game. She was named to the All-Big Ten team for the 2020-21 season.

Indiana opens its season with an exhibition against the University of Indianapolis on Nov. 5 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. The team’s first regular season contest is Nov. 10 against Butler University at Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.