sports women's soccer

Indiana women’s soccer’s Rennie, Gerstenberg called up to respective national teams

spiuwsbrief101821.jpg

Indiana women’s soccer announced Monday sophomore forward Gabi Rennie and freshman goalkeeper Jamie Gerstenberg were called up to their respective national teams. Rennie will represent New Zealand’s women’s senior national soccer team, and Gerstenberg will represent Germany’s under-20 women’s national soccer team.

Rennie represented New Zealand this past summer in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, scoring a goal shortly after being substituted into the match against Australia in a 2-1 loss. The forward has played for the Ferns at several other levels in her career, earning a bronze medal with the under-17 team at the 2018 FIFA U-17 World Cup and captaining the under-20 team in World Cup qualifiers.

Rennie has played limited minutes this season, making all nine of her appearances off the bench for the Hoosiers without scoring or assisting. She played in all 12 of the Hoosiers’ matches last spring, scoring her first and only goal in a win against Michigan State on March 31 and assisting the game-winning goal in a win against Michigan on March 28.

Gerstenberg has also represented Die Nationalelf at the under-19 and under-17 levels. She has impressed in her first season with Indiana, matching the program’s season-single individual record for shutouts with nine and leading Indiana to a Big Ten-best eight goals allowed with just two matches remaining in the regular season.

New Zealand is scheduled to play a pair of friendlies against Olympic gold-medal winners Canada on Oct. 23 and Oct. 26.

Indiana women’s soccer hasn’t yet announced whether or not Rennie and Gerstenberg’s call-ups will force them to miss the team’s matches against Rutgers on Thursday and Purdue on Sunday to close out the regular season.