sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer’s Munie wins Defensive Player of the Week for third time this season

Spiumsmunie102621.jpg

Daniel Munie, a junior defender on the Indiana men’s soccer team, won the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week award for the second time in three weeks, the conference announced Tuesday. Munie also earned Top Drawer Soccer’s Team of the Week distinctions.

Led by Munie, Indiana’s defense posted clean sheets against the University of Evansville and Wisconsin last week, extending its shutout streak to six games. Munie also assisted on freshman midfielder Tommy Mihalic’s match-winning golden goal against Wisconsin on Sunday. 

Hoosiers have won the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week award each of the last three weeks — junior goalkeeper Roman Celentano won the award last week and Munie has won the award three times this season. 

Celentano and senior defender Nyk Sessock have also been named to the Top Drawer Soccer Team of the Week in the last three weeks.

Munie and Indiana will look to extend its shutout streak to seven games against Virginia Commonwealth University at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Bill Armstrong Stadium.