sports men's soccer

Defense not enough in Indiana men’s soccer 2-1 OT loss to Michigan

spiumsrecap100121-jpg

Indiana men’s soccer returned to Bloomington with two road wins hoping to keep its two-game winning streak alive, but a 2-1 overtime loss to Michigan on Friday night spoiled a strong defensive effort.

Michigan took advantage of a waning Indiana defense as the 90th minute came around,  and the match was sent into overtime tied 1-1. Within the first minute, a leaping Roman Celentano blocked a rifle shot from fifth year midfielder Marc Ybarra. Not even two minutes later, the junior goalkeeper couldn’t stop senior forward Derick Broche’s shot to the bottom right of the goal.

Broche’s shot gave Michigan the 2-1 win to end Indiana's eight-year winning streak over the Wolverines. After only putting up two shots in the first half, Michigan walked away with 10 shots and five on goal after overtime. Indiana had 14 shots with 8 on goal.

Styles of play shifted throughout the game; Indiana’s defense came out calm and collected in the first half while Michigan’s offense played without much haste. The second half saw more tension and offensive charges from both teams, but Indiana’s defense failed to keep a determined Michigan team from equalizing.

“Our sport can be tough and cruel,” Indiana head coach Todd Yeagley said. “One play can change the complexion [of the game].”

The game was scoreless until the 68th minute, when junior forward Victor Bezerra took advantage of a penalty kick prompted by a Michigan foul to rifle a shot in the very left-hand side of the net to give Indiana the 1-0 lead. 

The goal marked Bezerra’s first of the season. Yeagley said he knew he wanted Bezerra to take the penalty.

“The risk-reward was too big,” Yeagley said. “He didn’t hesitate to get up there and take it, and it was really good.”

Play continued without much offensive action from either team until the 81st minute, when aggression and pressure from seemingly lacking Wolverines in the first half came out in full swing. 

Junior forward Evan Rasmussen put up the equalizer for the Wolverines with a diving header past Celentano. It was exactly what the Wolverines needed to start playing with conviction and leave the Hoosiers to fighting as their defense began to fade. 

“For them to get a goal late, I think gave them some juice in overtime,” Yeagley said of the Wolverines. “They have a lot of confidence.”

The first 45 minutes were heavily defensive as neither teams’ offense played with much urgency. Michigan did not apply much pressure on the Indiana back line, which was solid in its play, seizing possession of the ball and keeping defenders away from the goal.

Junior defender Daniel Munie and sophomore defender Joey Maher both confidently controlled the balls that came their way in the half, making Celentano’s job easy.

The Hoosiers also demonstrated solid passing and footwork, especially junior forwards Ryan Wittenbrink and Herbery Endeley, whose quick passes set up their teammates for shots. Endeley brought a dynamic look to the offense, putting up a total of five shots. 

Indiana had a total of six shots in the first half, including shots on goal from Endeley, Munie and freshman forward Samuel Sarver. Michigan only put up two shots, neither of which were on goal. 

In the second half, Michigan had two shots on goal within the first 10 minutes of the half.

Junior forward Maoloune Goumballe retaliated immediately after Michigan’s shots with a solo charge down the field, leading to a face-off with freshman goalkeeper Hayden Evans. In one of Indiana’s best chances  all night, Evans deflected Goumballe’s shot with his left foot to keep the game scoreless. 

Yeagley said he knows his team can’t keep performing “on and off” the way they have so far this season. While he isn’t displeased with their performance, he said they have to be able to play consistently no matter what.

Indiana is set to face the University of Nebraska Omaha in a non-conference matchup Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at Bill Armstrong Stadium in Bloomington.