Instant recap: Indiana football loses 54-7 to No. 5 Ohio State

spiufbliveupdates102321.jpg

Indiana football lost 54-7 at home to No. 5 Ohio State on Saturday night at Memorial Stadium. 

The loss was the Hoosiers’ 26th consecutive against Ohio State, and the Buckeyes scored their most points against the Hoosiers since 1983. The win for Ohio State is the latest in its run of dominance against Indiana. Ohio State improved to 57-2-2 against Indiana since 1952 with the win.

Indiana tied the game in the first quarter at 7-7 thanks to a 7-yard touchdown pass from junior quarterback Jack Tuttle to senior tight end Peyton Hendershot. Tuttle was injured on the play and would not throw another pass despite briefly re-entering the game. 

Freshman Donaven McCulley and sophomore Grant Gremel took over at quarterback after Tuttle’s injury in the first quarter.

Following Hendershot’s touchdown, the Hoosiers gave up 47 consecutive points to the Buckeyes. The Buckeyes outgained the Hoosiers 539 yards to 128 on the night, with the Hoosiers averaging just 1.3 yards per rushing attempt. 

Indiana’s next game will be at noon Oct. 30 against Maryland in College Park, Maryland. The game will be broadcast on Big Ten Network.

Instant recap by Patrick Felts

FOURTH QUARTER

7:32: James Evans' punt goes 62 yards. Ohio State ball at its eight-yard line.

FIELD GOAL: Ohio State finishes an 11 play drive with three points. Ohio State 54, Indiana 7.

14:42: Indiana runs one play to start the fourth quarter before punting.

THIRD QUARTER

TOUCHDOWN: Ohio State breaks 50 points on a 10-play, 78-yard drive. Ohio State 51, Indiana 7.

6:38: Indiana drives 15 yards before settling for a punt. Ohio State takes over at its 35-yard line.

9:32: Indiana forces Ohio State to punt for the first time today after Micah McFadden sacks Stroud. Ohio State had six touchdowns on six drives in the first half. The Hoosiers

11:15: After a promising eight play, 47 yard drive to start the half, Indiana fails to convert on fourth down and turns the ball over.

McCulley completes his first career pass, a 30-yard reception to Ty Fryfogle.

15:00: Indiana received the opening kickoff of the half and calls for a fair catch.

SECOND QUARTER

TOUCHDOWN: After Indiana goes four and out, Ohio State scores again on a 14-yard pass. Ohio State 44, Indiana 7.

TOUCHDOWN: Ohio State takes two more plays to score after getting the ball back. Ohio State 37, Indiana 7.

6:14: Indiana gets sacked twice — Tuttle once and McCulley once — and has to punt it back to Ohio State. The Buckeyes return it 21 yards.

TOUCHDOWN: Ohio State adds another touchdown one play after a penalty canceled another. Ohio State 30, Indiana 7.

9:59: The kickoff after the safety is returned by Ohio State to the Indiana 39-yard line, a return of 42 yards.

SAFETY: Indiana goes to punt on fourth down, but a high snap combined with steady ran leads to a safety. Punter James Evans can't catch the ball and falls on it in the end zone. Ohio State will get the ball back on the kick. Ohio State 23, Indiana 7.

12:52: Walk-on sophomore quarterback Grant Gremel has entered the game, replacing McCulley.

TOUCHDOWN: Ohio State has sliced up Indiana's defense for 201 yards already. A 14-yard touchdown pass to TreVeyon Henderson extends the Buckeyes' lead and caps off a six-play drive.

FIRST QUARTER

:00: Ohio State runs one play and lets the clock run out. Ohio State outgained Indiana 153-69 in the quarter and both teams ran 18 plays.

:39: Donaven McCulley replaces injured quarterback Jack Tuttle. Indiana goes three and out and has to punt back to Ohio State. McCulley's two incomplete pass attempts were the first throws of his career.

TOUCHDOWN: Ohio State takes five plays to drive back down the field. The Buckeyes had three plays of at least 21 yards. Ohio State 14, Indiana 7.

TOUCHDOWN: Tuttle connects with Hendershot for a seven yard touchdown reception, but Tuttle needs help from the trainers after taking a big hit. Indiana 7, Ohio State 7.

3:41: Freshman quarterback Donaven McCulley rushes for 15 yards to break into the red zone. Indiana has run 14 plays on this drive, its first of the quarter.

5:19: Wide receiver Miles Marshall picks up Indiana's third third-down conversion of the drive on a 12-yard reception.

Tight end Peyton Hendershot caught consecutive passes for 22 yards and Indiana is on Ohio State's side of the field.

9:50: After the kickoff, Indiana takes over at the 25-yard line. After a sack, quarterback Jack Tuttle rushed for five yards.

TOUCHDOWN: Ohio State takes just over five minutes to open up the scoring. Miyan Williams runs from 11 yards out to cap a 12 play, 75-yard drive. Ohio State 7, Indiana 0.

11:46: Safety Devon Matthews breaks up a deep pass from Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud.

15:00: No. 5 Ohio State and Indiana have kicked off and OSU will get the ball at the 25-yard line.

Indiana football won the toss and elected to defer to the second half. Ohio State will receive the opening kickoff.

Live updates by Evan Gerike