9/11 commissioners to hold “Are We Safer Today” event at IU Auditorium Tuesday

cacommission101121.jpg

Seven surviving members of the 9/11 Commission will meet at IU Auditorium Tuesday, to discuss their work, recommendations and impact on the current status of AmericanNational Security. 

The event, sponsored by IU’s Center on Representative Government, is open to IU students, faculty and staff, as well as members of the general public, and will be filmed in three separate segments.

Each segment will last one hour and 15 minutes beginning at 9 a.m., 10:50 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Indianapolis-based Naptown Media will use these segments in a documentary film that is scheduled to release next fall.

Auditorium doors will open 30 minutes prior to each segment and attendees will not be permitted to leave the event until the segment ends.

The 9/11 Commission is an independent, bipartisan commission that was created to prepare a comprehensive account of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, including preparedness for and in response to the attacks. Chartered by congressional legislation and President George W. Bush, this commission was also mandated to provide recommendations to prepare against potential future attacks.

The event will focus on issues regarding the commission’s work covering the U.S. government’s combat readiness to terrorist threats both domestically and internationally, the challenge of exchanging and sharing information between government agencies, and issues with congressional oversight of these agencies.

Attending commissioners include:

• Thomas H. Kean, commission’s chair and former N.J. governor

• Lee H. Hamilton, commission’s vice chair and IU’s Center on Representative Government founder

• Richard Ben-Veniste, attorney and former chief of the Watergate Task Force of the Watergate Special Prosecutor’s Office

• Jamie Gorelick, former deputy attorney general in the Clinton administration

• Bob Kerrey, former governor and U.S. senator of Nebraska

• John Lehman, former secretary of the Navy under President Ronald Reagan

• Timothy Roemer, former U.S. representative from Indiana and former U.S. ambassador to India

The commissioners will join in oral history interviews that will form the foundation of a new civic education curriculum and digital application to be created and distributed by both IU’s Center on Representative Government and Naptown Media.

Additionally, the commissioners will meet with students in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs and Hamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies.